Performs work of considerable difficulty involving supervising inmates at the Campbell County Detention Center. A Deputy Jailer is responsible for the safety, security and control of adult offenders with assignments in the areas of custody, processing and control of specialized program or unit at the facility.
ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS AND RESPONSIBILITIES: (Any one position may not include all the duties listed nor do the listed examples include all the tasks which may be assigned).
• Provides supervision of inmates, ensuring a safe and controlled environment;
• Assists in coordinating, supervising and planning activities related to assigned area; monitor activities of inmate/trustees;
• Prepares documents, reports, activity logs, etc.;
• Processes offender’s requests, provides information and investigates complaints as appropriate; interviews and counsels offenders;
• Notifies medical and mental health services of offenders in need of services;
• Ensures accurate processing of court orders, directives or other judicial actions;
• Enters, processes and verifies information required of the various inmate management and information systems;
• Determines when inmates are to go to court; notifies appropriate personnel; ensures inmates are properly dressed for court;
• Processes inmates returning from court, work/release, etc.;
• Monitors and ensures the accuracy and operation of the facility equipment;
• Responds as appropriate to inquiries from other agencies, officials and/or the general public;
• Investigates and documents all incidents that are deemed extraordinary and reports findings to Jail Administration;
• Complies with and enforces departmental policies, procedures, rules;
• Ability to take directives/orders and to report through the proper chain of command; and
• Perform all other duties as assigned.
• Supervises and monitors inmate activities and behaviors to ensure safe and controlled environment; ensures incidences are properly reported and documented.
• Ensures inmates receive a level of personal health care services that are consistent and required by law.
• Escorts/transports, monitors and supervises inmates to and from various locations; maintains order and control of inmates and visitors.
• Performs security checks ensuring that all monitors and equipment are in proper working order.
• Maintains, prepares and submits all appropriate logs, reports, files and documentation to assigned area.
• Update inmate records through the jail management system as data originates and verifies the accuracy of computer records.
• May be assigned to perform duties of higher or lower level on a temporary or acting basis.
• Responsible for knowing and complying with the policies, rules, and regulations pertaining to the Campbell County Detention Center.
• Perform all related duties as required.
PHYSICAL DEMANDS AND WORKING CONDITIONS
• Physical demands include: standing, lifting, carrying, walking, bending, and effectively dealing with inmate altercations.
• Must have the strength and agility to perform job duties of medium exertion (i.e., 20-50 pounds of force) and including occasional very heavy exertion (i.e., exerting in excess of 100 pounds of force).
• Working conditions include regular exposure to dangerous and or hazardous situations, continuous noises, bright lights, contagious diseases, humid surroundings, extreme hot or cold temperatures, dust and/or odors.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE
• Completion of high school or GED
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES
• Successfully complete training academy requirements.
• Possess basic computer skills necessary to perform duties listed above.
• Must be a United States citizen
• Must be at least 21 years of age
• Subject to shift work, extended duty hours, twenty-four-hour call-back, holiday and weekend duty
• Must not have been convicted of a felony or serious misdemeanor
• Subject to an extensive background check
• Subject to random drug testing/alcohol testing and polygraph examination at any time during employment
• Must possess a valid driver’s license