State and Local Tax Manager
- Whippany, NJ 07981
Looking for a specialized opportunity with a flexible work environment?
WithumSmith+Brown, P.C., is a forward-thinking, technology-driven advisory and accounting firm, helping clients to Be in a Position of StrengthSM in today's modern business landscape. Withum empowers clients with innovative tools and solutions to address their accounting, tax and overall business management needs. Withum is a place where talent thrives. We recruit only the best and brightest people, with a genuine passion for the business.
Withum's State and Local Tax Group is committed to remaining informed of the changes in state and local laws and regulations that create confusion for our clients as they happen. The group provides clients with new opportunities before they may turn into a challenge. This group is equipped to solve any issues that may arise with our clients, both domestically or internationally.
This Manger role will work exclusively with Withum's State and Local Tax group in our Whippany, NJ office. We service clients around the nation, providing you with travel opportunities and flexibility on how to work, from where and when. You'll be working with an experienced team of seasoned State and Local tax professionals. In this position, you will take a lead role in planning and consulting engagements, as well a tax compliance and audit defense and representation for our clients.
Withum's brand is a reflection of our people, our culture and our strength. Withum has become synonymous with teamwork and client service excellence. The cornerstone of our success can truly be accredited to the dedicated professionals who work here every day, whose mission is to help our clients grow and thrive - to be in a position of strength. But our commitment goes beyond our clients as we continue to live the Withum Way, promoting personal and professional growth for all team members, clients, and surrounding communities.
How You'll Spend Your Time
* Review state tax returns that were prepared by staff for accuracy
* Research and prepare memorandums involving multi-state nexus
* Sales tax and other state and local issues
* Manage state tax examinations and audits
* Assist with state and local tax consulting projects
* Manage multiple engagements concurrently with various teams to efficiently meet client deadlines
* Create and track engagement budgets to review for inefficiencies that may arise during the engagement
* Conduct constructive discussions with team members on their evaluations and providing counsel accordingly
* Serve in professional development programs as an instructor or discussion leader
The Kinds of People We Want to Talk to Have Many of The Following:
* Bachelor's degree in accounting with a CPA license or JD
* At least 5 years of public accounting experience, with experience leading multiple engagements and supervising staff relating to state and local tax issues.
* Exceptional client service and communication skills with a demonstrated ability to develop and maintain outstanding client relationships.
* Ability to manage multiple engagements and competing projects in a rapidly growing, fast-paced, interactive, results-based team environment.
* Strong leadership, training, and mentoring skills, coupled with excellent verbal, written, and presentation skills to represent the Firm well to client's management
Withum will not discriminate against any employee or applicant for employment because of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, marital status, genetic information, disability or because he or she is a protected veteran.